If you are suffering from eczema, Enhanced Dermatology of Orange County is here for you in Tustin, CA. Eczema can be irritating or embarrassing but there are treatments available and our team of doctors can help find the right one for you. Eczema is characterized by dry and itchy skin that appears with a red rash. The different types of eczema, or atopic dermatitis, are listed below:
- Contact dermatitis is caused by skin contact with an irritant and goes away when the irritant is removed.
- Dyshidrotic dermatitis affects the fingers, hands, and feet and is more common in women
- Nummular dermatitis causes dry, round patches of skin on the legs during the winter, and is more common in men
Our team in Tustin, CA, can help treat whatever type of eczema you have. Come see us for an appointment if you have symptoms of eczema.
The main symptom of eczema is dry, irritated skin that is inflamed and flaky. Eczema tends to flare up and then subside. Other symptoms can include:
- Intense itching
- Thickened, scaly skin
- Discoloration of the skin in patches
- Small, raised bumps on the skin that ooze fluid
Treatments for Eczema
The cause of eczema is not fully known but the symptoms can still be treated. It is recommended to bathe and moisturize your skin every day. Different types of treatment for eczema include:
- Antihistamine medications to relieve itching
- Steroid drugs can calm your immune system's response and relieve symptoms
- Immunosuppressant drugs can stop the immune system from overreacting and prevent eczema flare-ups
- If your skin has gotten an infection, your doctor may prescribe an antibiotic
- Cortizone or steroid creams help to relieve scaling and itching
- Oral corticosteroids are only prescribed in severe cases because they can have serious side effects
- Avoiding stress and irritants that cause eczema flare-ups
It could take trial and error to find the best treatment for your type of eczema. Enhanced Dermatology of Orange County can help you find relief with the right treatment. Contact us for an appointment in Tustin, CA, at (714) 790-0005.